Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Service Reflection #1

At service last week I didnt get a lot of time to spend with the kids but it was cool nonetheless. The teacher was very kind and went to great lengths to explain to me how she ran her classroom. The only one on one interaction was with a Rayanna, a girl of probably 7 or 8. The tacher asked Rayanna to come up to the front of the room where I was and then asked her take me over to the book shelf to get a book or two, suggesting a soccer one since she knew Rayanna liked soccer (which impressed me.) After we grabbed two books we picked out a corner and she started to read. She had trouble with some words but when I covered up the word with my finger and then revealed it bit by bit and had her sound out each section alone before putting them together she was able to read almost every word. Just this little bit was rewarding for me. No word on how it was for Rayanna.

I guess what stuck out the most for me was, again, the fact that the teacher knew Rayanna liked soccer. When I fantasize about teaching, trying to get to know the students is always something I think about. This teacher obviously has succeeded in this. Hopefully I can pick some ideas up from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment