Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Service Reflection #2

Today when I walked in Ms Javitch excitedly told me that there was a boy who had asked to read with me. She was excited because apparently recently he had been having some trouble and she was confident that I could help.

She then introduced me to Hakeem, and he immediately ushered me out into the hall so we could start reading as soon as possible. He pulled out the book Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, and I smiled and told him I used to read that book when I was his age, too. This only seemed to add to his excitement as he began reading. Right away I was floored by how well he could read. After reading for a while he asked me to read some too, and we continued this for a while. Then after this he took out a piece of paper to write a summary of what he read and after asking me if it was okay, he began to write in cursive.

Even though he was having a hard time, Hakeem was so excited to have me help him and even told me that I would make a great teacher someday.

I was really encouraged by Hakeem's willingness to really learn how to write in cursive correctly, even though he was not as good at it as he was at other things such as reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment