Monday, November 1, 2010

Blog 6

Im happy to say that all while I read through chapter 9 I continually thought about my high school, Walsh Jesuit in Cuyahoga Falls.
This is why I brought a T Shirt from my freshman year at Walsh. On the back of the shirt is the word TEAM, and underneath it; "Together Everyone Achieves More."

While this shirt was only given to the freshman football players, its message really was true for the whole school. Walsh stressed "high academic quality as well as social justice". Over the past four years 99% of Walsh grads have gone on to college, with literally one solitary exception. The school is also known in the community for its stress on social justice, with its programs reaching out to the homeless in Akron and its many service trips around the world.

At Walsh I also met many teachers and other faculty members who were genuinely concerned with how my and my fellow students' educations were progressing, and I cannot tell you how many times I met with teachers after school to work on projects or just to talk about life. In the books words, I guess you could say they did their best to provide "broad and deep access to learning" to their students.

Perhaps the most reassuring and encouraging thing that I saw as a student was how many of the teachers got along so well and frequently helped each other out in classes. I ended up getting to know very well many teachers I never had for class because of their involvement in other teachers' classes I was already in. I always felt like the adults there were there to help me learn, and as a result I will forever feel indebted to Walsh Jesuit High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment